In a statement released on the eve of the April 14, fourth anniversary of the kidnap of over 200 schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State, the United Nations agency also said more than 1,000 children had been abducted and 1,400 schools destroyed by the terrorists in the region since 2013.
Recently, former Minister of Education, Dr Oby Ezekwesili reminded President Buhari of his promise to ensure the return of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls before he was elected president in 2015.
More than 50 of them escaped shortly after their abduction and the Buhari administration negotiated and secured the release of 103 of the girls. Some may be dead, according to testimony from the rescued girls and Boko Haram experts. At least 112 Chibok schoolgirls are believed to still be in captivity.
"Far more support must also be provided for past victims".
"We will not forget the Chibok Girls and everything that they represent, and we in Parliament will not cease to push for their rescue".
But over 100 of the girls are still being held captive with their parents and the Bring Back Our Girls Group continuing to call on the government to secure their release.
Victor of $533M Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
It's not only life changing money for me but it's life changing for others. "We're going to try to do some good things with that". Officials have since presented a check for $30,000 to the owner of the Lukoil for selling the winning ticket.
Seventh murder charge for alleged Toronto serial killer
Toronto police have released a photograph of a man who is believed to be a victim of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur . Police now allege McArthur killed Faizi "on or about" December 29, 2010, according to documents filed in court Wednesday.
Sensex down 38 points, Nifty below 10400 in late morning deals
Chinese President Xi Jinping promised to lower import tariffs on products including cars, easing concerns over an escalating U.S. The Sensex and Nifty closed higher on Wednesday amid volatile trade, extending their winning streak to a fifth straight day.
He said given the experience of Sharibu, Chibok parents were anxious whether the remaining Chibok girls were being held back due to their faith.
In May 2017 another 82 girls are released in exchange for five Boko Haram commanders as part of the same talks.
"I appeal to the parents to keep their hopes alive regarding the return of their daughters".
Mr Nkeki said members of his community were disappointed with government officials at the state and federal level for not attending the four-year commemoration of the abduction of their daughter Saturday.
A group of young women shown in a video released by Boko Haram on Monday are purported to be among the more than 200 abducted from Chibok, northeast Nigeria, on April 14, 2014. "Because, government resists independent reporting of the crisis, most of the reports are choreographed and Nigerians are also not ready to hear the truth or stand by it". "Most of those in attendance were the parents of the missing schoolgirls; not more than 30 persons joined us for the prayers".
The President, in a statement made available toNaija News by the Senior Special assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Shehu Garba, assure the parents of the girls that their daughter will never be forgotten or abandoned to their fate, despite four long years since they were taken away by terrorists. We invited everybody including the state governor, whom we learnt is out of the country at the moment.