The president has made a point of singling out China for what he says are years of unfair trade practices.
Members of both parties in the House and Senate slammed the agreement the Trump administration reached with ZTE Friday, in which the Chinese firm agreed to remove its management team, hire American compliance officers, and pay a fine.
"Going forward, a reduction in validity of some newly issued visas is part of the National Security Strategy to ensure that intellectual property is not transferred to our competitors", the official said, referring to a document issued by the Trump administration in December.
In the announcement, the USA government listed a range of grievances against Chinese trade practices, ranging from product dumping to industrial subsidies to forced technology transfer.
The White House, and many American companies, say that China forces US firms to turn over technology as part of joint ventures with Chinese companies to gain access to its market. After Trump administration officials traveled to China at the start of the month, a Chinese delegation came to Washington two weeks later.
The China tariffs are back on.
Tuesday's announcement comes amid mixed messages from the White House about a "trade war" with China.
Death toll rises to 4 in Cyclone Mekunu in Oman
Those deaths come after the National Committee for Civil Defense earlier announced that four people had been killed. The airport, closed since Thursday, was set to reopen on Sunday, Oman's Public Authority for Civil Aviation said.
Subtropical Storm Alberto forms; expected to soak Florida
And Alberto is likely headed toward the northern Gulf Coast, where tropical storm watches could go up as soon as today. Severe storms on Thursday raged from Minnesota to Georgia, creating flooding and damaging trees and homes.
Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets - 5/26/18 NBA Pick, Odds, and Prediction
He started 30 games this season while Paul and James Harden dealt with injuries. It's not like Houston hasn't had its own adversity to deal with.
Barely a week after Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said that the trade war with China was "on hold" and that tariffs would be suspended as talks continue, the White House issued a statement saying that the United States would move ahead with its plan to impose 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion worth of imported Chinese goods within the next month. Trump, while demanding China to reduce the USD 375 billion by USD 100 billion retaliated with USD 50 billion tariffs on Chinese products. He said the two countries were in talks and had made "meaningful progress".
The final list of covered imports subject to tariffs will be announced by June 15.
Liu said a fortnight ago that a deal had been struck for China to increase imports of United States energy, agricultural, health, high-tech products and financial services.
The White Paper makes note of US government concerns over cyber theft, forced technology transfer and discriminatory industrial policies.
While Trump expressed appreciation when Chinese President Xi Jinping seemed to respond with relenting on tariff threats, the White House made clear that it required "concrete actions" from China before relenting in USA moves toward tariffs.
The American Chamber of Commerce in China (AmCham) said in a report published Wednesday that its member companies are anxious investigations into China's intellectual property practices and industrial policies could cause tensions to flare again.
"We want to reiterate that we don't want a trade war, but we aren't afraid of fighting one", Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a briefing on Wednesday. The group cited research from Iowa State University economist Dermot Hayes, who estimates that USA pork producers have lost $2.2 billion on an annualized basis as a result of events leading up to and following China's 25 percent punitive tariff on pork.